We were just on the phone with our daughter Cassandra, and she reminded me it’s Friday. Somehow with the jet lag I was thinking it’s still Thursday. It always takes me a couple of days to get back in to swing of things. So as not to tax my tired brain too much, rather than going into something more serious, I turn to a little tale of barely averted disaster from back in the days when we lived and worked at the old church in Wyecombe Ontario. Back in the days when we were called Old Church Trading.
This story involves our faithful, for the past thirty years, assistant Albert. Albert is a wonderful guy. We continue to be good friends. He is actually more a member of the family at this point, and at 70 years old he is still happy as a clam to come over from time to time to help us with the garden or whatever, and he can still out work a man half his age. We met him early on after moving to the church when we bought some children’s yard chairs that he was making and selling from his trailer home in nearby Courtland. During the conversation over the chair purchase he became aware that we had lots of work to do on the property and asked if we would be interested in hiring him. He seemed like a nice fellow and his price was right so we said “sure let’s give it a try.’ Well Albert turned out to be a real blessing. He would come on time very morning and work hard with enthusiasm and dedication, without ever a complaint. I have always been more likely to say to Albert to slow down and take it a little easy, rather than to hurry up and get on with it. Salt of the earth kind of guy. We soon noticed that he never brought or ate a lunch, and so asked him why, and expressed our concern as to his well being. He said, “oh I eat a good breakfast and then have dinner when I get home so it’s o.k. That’s when Albert started having lunch with us. Albert we came to find out, was a ward of the court and had never learned to read or write. He had lived almost as a slave on a nearby farm until he was 18 and legally able to leave. I will not denigrate him by suggesting that he is unintelligent because in spite of his lack of education he is very creative in finding ways to do things his own way, and very capable at many things. Let’s just say that he is an original thinker, and because he is always working so hard to please, everything is great as long as you don’t leave him too long unattended, because sometimes he is a bit overzealous. So understanding this, we come to our story.
It was an unusually hot, and windy spring morning, and I had spent it working indoors, while Albert on instruction raked up the leaves and limbs that had fallen on the yard over the winter. At noon Jeanine had prepared some delicious soup and so we called Albert in for lunch. As usual we had enjoyed our lunch together and conversation and was just finishing a cup of coffee when there came a frantic knock on the door. We opened it to find a local farmer shouting “your cats on fire, your cat’s on fire”. We looked across the room and saw our cat Elvis sleeping there so we were puzzled to say the least. “He’s o.k. he’s right over there.” We had misunderstood. “Oh, our shack is on fire” What the…?
We ran out and indeed one of our three little out buildings was indeed engulfed in flames along one wall. It didn’t take long to realize that Albert had piled up the refuse at the edge of the property, and had taken the initiative to light it. Then when called him he had then come in for lunch, assuming I guess that it would be fine. Well the wind had picked up and it wasn’t fine. The fire had run along the dry weeds and caught under the edge of the little building. The dry hot wind had fanned it, and it was already burning pretty convincingly all along the wood siding. Yikes! Crap. Albert get out the hose and shovels and get over here pronto. Albert is pretty darn fast when he needs to be so within seconds he was back and we were throwing dirt on the fire and spraying the side of the building with all the water that our little well pump could muster. It didn’t take a minute to realize it was a losing battle so Jeanine ran in and phoned the fire department. Albert and I continued to fight the blaze as best we could but it had now jumped on to the pile of one hundred year old pine barn planks which we had stacked neatly with two inch spacers in between so they would not rot. Well let me tell you, when that hot dry wind blew the flames across that dry stacked wood, whoosh, up she went like a match shooting flames into the sky. Holy Crap! Our main effort at this point was to just stop the flames from reaching our two adjoined work shop buildings which were a mere three feet away. All we could do was to spray the walls to try to keep it from igniting. Of course the work shop was full of valuable antiques and combustible chemicals, and also was just a few feet away from the church so things were beginning to look pretty bad. Just when it seemed hopeless the entire Langton volunteer fire department arrived with both their trucks because they had understood from Jeanine’s frantic call that the whole church was on fire. They got out one of their big hoses and within five minutes extinguished the burning pile of boards and the burning shack, and left us with a cautionary note and a bill for $175. Whew, thanks fellows for coming out so quickly and getting this situation back in control. I lost my two big pile of pine boards and we had to restore one side of our little shack but we were so grateful that things had not been worse that we just took a moment to thank our lucky stars and the brave men who volunteer to fight fires. Albert, of course felt bad enough as it was without reprimanding him further, so we just got on with cleaning up the mess. However, we all learned a valuable lesson that day.